3rd Annual Winter Woodlot Tour - Explore PEI's Wild Side2013-02-02 09:00:00 - 2013-02-02 13:00:00
Contact Email: Contact event coordinator
Winter Woodlot Tour Invitation - Explore PEI's Wild Side
The Winter Woodlot Tour scheduled for Saturday, January 26th has been canceled due to high wind chill (-28) and slippery conditions. It has been rescheduled to Saturday, Feb 2nd at the same time and place. Hope to see you on the 2nd.
What are the issues facing today's woodlots and watersheds? How can we work together to find common solutions to the hurdles of managing our resources sustainably - today and in the future ?
With this in mind, Stewart and Rita MacRae, the Wheatley River Improvement Group, Hunter-Clyde Watershed Group and the PEI Model Forest Network would like to invite the public to attend the 3rd Annual Winter Woodlot Tour on Saturday January 26th (storm date- February 2nd). This event will run from 9:00 AM to 1:00 PM. and will be located on the Millboro Rd. (Rt # 243) between Rt # 2 and Wheatley River, follow the signs.
There will be various stations set up throughout the property which will include but are not limited to the following:
- Horse logging demonstrations
- Woodsmen Competition – 4H will be competing in the various events
- Snowshoeing - Go PEI will have Snowshoes on site for those who like to try Snowshoeing
- Chainsaw Maintenance and Safety - Chainsaw safety, maintenance and proper ways to cut
- Birds of Prey- Identifying raptors on Island woodlotsIsland Winter Wildlife - Identifying and encouraging animal life within small woodlots
- Forest Thinning - Forest Enhancement Program
- Maple Tree Tapping - The making of Maple Syrup Products
- Winter survival - Surviving outdoors in the winter
- Watershed Management - restoring streams to encourage wildlife
- Many other interesting displays and presentations
Forest, Wildlife and Watershed professionals and staff from the Department of Agriculture and Forestry will be on hand to answer any questions you may have. There is no charge to attend this special event and there will be a heated tent set up, with free hot cider provided by Wintermoor Orchards.
We are hosting this event to provide information on the development of sustainably managed forests and watersheds on which our communities and economies depend. Bring the whole family and come out and enjoy a day of winter fun and interaction.
For more information, please contact Chris Newell, winter woodlot tour coordinator, via e-mail at email@example.com or visit us on facebook, PEI Winter Woodlot Tour 2013.